I have also learned that music makes it way better. I think I was actually reminded because I knew this before (of course I did - with music being such an important part of my life). The goal was to get exercising, not to exercise with music.
So, on Saturday (day 61), I went out in the early afternoon while neighbors were enjoying a warmer than average autumn afternoon, getting ready for young children to come wearing costumes and masks to ask for candy.
A neighbor, two doors up and across the street, who cuts our lawn, saw me and said "10 times and you'll be all set!" I think he meant from corner to corner. so I told him that I usually do about 12 which takes me 30 minutes. He may have seen me before when I was out after dark.
An older neighbor, two doors up, who sits on her porch most of the spring and summer watching the neighborhood, saw me walking, running and working my arms. She warned me to be careful "we don't want any heart attacks out here".
I explained that I have been exercising regularly since Sept. 1st and that I have been out later at night when she can't see. I also assured her that I wouldn't be doing anything that was too much. I was able to talk to her and exercise without being out of breath even while pumping my arms. I usually don't talk when I'm working out because no one is around or close enough to talk to me.
I explained that I have been exercising regularly since Sept. 1st and that I have been out later at night when she can't see. I also assured her that I wouldn't be doing anything that was too much. I was able to talk to her and exercise without being out of breath even while pumping my arms. I usually don't talk when I'm working out because no one is around or close enough to talk to me.
Here's my gear: I always have my cell phone with me when I walk. I use the Timer/Stopwatch function when I exercise to track my time. I usually have my iPod on my person but I don't always listen while walking. I keep forgetting to wear the borrowed Polar Heart Rate monitor. If I write about it enough, I might remember to wear it at some point.
On Sunday (day 62), I went out in the early evening and decided to venture into a new un-walked part of my neighborhood. The little triangle park at one end of my block has grass and trees surrounded by a sidewalk and tree-boxes. Its bordered by a busy street with a bus stop, but things are pretty quiet on Sundays and most workday evenings.
One leg of the (right) triangle measures 100 steps, the other: 70 and the slant side (hypotenuse): 130. How beautifully these numbers add to 300.Ten laps adds to a clean and easy 3,000 plus the steps to and from the house bring my walking total to 3,275 for the day.
My block has a very slight incline. Any perception of going up or downhill in front of my house could be missed unless you're looking for it. At the triangle, the shortest side is the part that lines up with my block which is pretty flat (no hill) and the longer sides of the triangle meet down an incline. This can intensify my workout. When I run, I run downhill for more momentum. When I work my arms, I walk uphill. I ended up challenging myself to keep the arm work going all the way around the triangle.
Although I was planning to catch up on one of my talking podcasts from www.dailyaudiobible.com, some music I liked started playing during my search and I decided to listen. After the first song, I searched for another and let it play and another and another. Today, I walked to two songs by Michael W. Smith and especially enjoyed David Benoit's "Watermelon Man". Before I knew it, I had done 10 laps around the triangle and about a minute remained on my timer - just enough time to get home.
The music helped me set and keep pace - something I haven't done during any of my previous walks. I selected songs after assessing how fast they were compared to how fast I felt I needed to go. And despite the much cooler weather today, I perspired a bit more than I did yesterday. Perspiration is my indicator of aerobic efficiency - not my attempt to give you too much information.
NOTE to self: record beats per minute for my favorite workout songs so that I can plan the order that they play during my walker-cising sessions.
Do something beautiful for your heart today.
~ Cheryl ~
NOTE to self: record beats per minute for my favorite workout songs so that I can plan the order that they play during my walker-cising sessions.
Do something beautiful for your heart today.
~ Cheryl ~
No comments:
Post a Comment