Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Heart-Walk was Today

... and I walked in it. I wasn't sure I would be able to manage but I had my back-up plan in place (equipment and supportive medical apparel).

OK. I did one lap. I wrote about this before. Remembering how I injured myself in last year's walk and how long it took to recover, I decided not to push myself as hard this time. No, it wasn't raining. The route wasn't even wet, but I gave myself permission to walk just enough and not be mistaken for "Super-girl" (in my own mind). I the first lap was equivalent to the distance I would walk in my neighborhood on any given day.

It was a cool, comfortable day. I followed the path through sun and shade. Kind strangers took photos of me at various points in the walk. I finally got a photo with that GEICO mascot! The person inside was muttering impatiently as the person taking my photo struggled to get the shot. I thought it was funny but I apologized to him for taking so long.

The walk was at National's Park for the first time. I liked the location but couldn't understand why the platform for speakers was so far away from the participants, especially since baseball season was over. Cameras can point anywhere. Why put the speakers on the other side of the ball field where the only way the walkers can see and hear them is on the jumbo-tron?

While waiting for the walk to start, I explored this venue which I had only seen but never entered. Shoppers Food Warehouse brought lots of delicious snacks. I especially enjoyed the fresh fruit and the whole-grain cereal bars.

I was near the front of the pack when the walk began but decided to put some of the goodies I had collected from the various corporate booths in the car then return to the walk. I was parked only a half block away from the walking route but found myself near the back of the pack.

We hit a bottleneck on one of the early legs where we had to share our route with DC traffic. That means we couldn't walk in the street. Some of us were stopped briefly to let an SUV enter a garage parking facility. I imagine some of the more fiercely dedicated walking athletes might have been upset by this. I think if anyone is planning an exercise event, maybe choosing a route that would provide minimal impediment to the those who come to exercise is a good idea.

Do something beautiful for your heart today.

~Cheryl~

No comments:

Post a Comment