Monday, March 8, 2010

Phase 2 / Workout 10 - My first walk of the new year plus a surprise!

Currently not in physical therapy, I have had easy and difficult days. I am trying to go without PT to see if I can maintain on my own. And on one of the first beautiful days of the year, I chose to walk today and had a surprise: my first walking buddy! My neighbor, J.S., who was mentioned (as I wrote in a previous blog) she wanted to walk also, crossed paths with me this morning and said she wanted to join me. It is so much safer to walk with someone, especially in the city and at dusk. We can also gauge our intensity while walking by how well we can continue to chat. She was a delight.


She had been concerned that I might walk too fast for her but I assured her that I can increase my intensity if needed without increasing my speed. It was her first time in a long time and I encouraged her to inform her doctor and she said she already had an appointment in a couple of days.


I continued after our fifteen minutes of walking together and walked an additional fifteen alone for a net total 30 minutes (2000 steps).


Do something beautiful for your heart today.


~ Cheryl ~

No comments:

Post a Comment