Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Day 58: (the real one) Nice weather, decent hour, fun productive walk

Depression could have set in when I discovered that Game I of the World Series preempted Glee, the show I like to watch on Wednesday nights while I ride my bike. Depression didn't have a chance. I put in a load of laundry, exchanged my blouse for my favorite T-shirt and hit the sidewalk for thirty minutes.


The evening was comfortable and the hour was early enough that some people were still out on their porches, running late errands or walking through our block. 


During my first outdoor walk, I measured the distance up and  down my block. I placed the start and finish-line at the walkway up to my door. A trip from one end of the block to the other is 235 steps. A round trip is 470. In thirty minutes I did approximately 6 and a half round trips for 3,000 steps. Unfortunately, I forgot to wear the heart rate monitor.


I've tried walking up and down my block crossing the street at each end to create a loop. But, tonight I just stayed on the side of the street in front of the house and I boosted my walk with a mini-run the last 10 yards or so approaching the finish line. It was too cool to sweat but I did feel well worked-out at the end of my walk.


I have new shoes!  I went to Pacers in Arlington, VA at the suggestion of my podiatrist and with the blessing of my physical therapist. They looked at my feet and watched me walk. I left with some excellent shoes that are right for my feet. My physical therapist saw them and he was pleased. I feel so good after my walk, I need to remember this feeling the next time I try to buy super-cheap exercise shoes.


Although I haven't lost as much weight as I thought I might from exercise alone, I am happy because my feet almost never swell these days. The new eating plan is coming soon - late - but soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment