Sunday, September 13, 2009

Day 12 & 13: More Recovery needed apparently

On Friday, day 11, although I worked out, I knew I had to take it easy. I didn't push myself, it was enough to go for 2 rides for 20 minutes each and I barely perspired. I thought my body was reacting negatively to the intensity of my Wednesday workout or I was dehydrated. My stomach wasn't feeling too well. But I didn't feel sick.

On Saturday, I rested nearly all day with a splitting headache. Ibuprophen was my frequent companion throughout the day. Though I don't have definitive answers, I do have some lessons learned.



I am reminded that I am not an athlete preparing for a competition. Neither the summer nor the winter Olympic games are in my future plans. I am someone who is making the switch from having most of her days devoid of healthful physical activity to someone who does exercise as a matter of discipline. I am not there yet and I guess I thought I could test my limits and I may have hurt myself a bit.


Now, I can be comfortable with pushing myself a little bit on some days and more on others. The high achiever in me doesn't have to participate in this. She could get me into serious trouble. This is about being healthy. As a result, I will lose weight and change my shape. I don't have to do it faster than anyone else as long as I do it and don't give up. My inner-high-achiever showed up with a vengeance when I was about to graduate last year and I ended up in the hospital I.M.C.U. for three days with a life-threatening problem. I only need to remember and adjust myself.


My results for day 13 are:


Time: 20 min. 
Average Speed 12.1
Distance 3.9
Calories 97
Average Heart Rate 110
Watts: 44
Level: 5


So, I am learning to be gentle with myself and strike a balance between that and pushing myself. I hope you and others benefit from what I'm writing and that you


Do something beautiful for your heart today.


~ Cheryl ~

No comments:

Post a Comment